First launched in 1990, BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for masterplanning projects, infrastructure and buildings including laboratories.
Why is achieving a BREEAM rating important?
The benefits of achieving a BREEAM rating can include:
- reduced operating costs
- improved lab user morale and productivity
- demonstrates a proactive approach to CSR
As a result many educational and commercial research organisations plan new build projects with achieving a ‘Very Good’ or ‘Excellent’ BREEAM in mind and adopt a range of technologies to help achieve their aim.
- Earlier this year the University of Cambridge installed 1,500 solar panels at its new 150-hectare district (which includes affordable homes for university and college staff, and 100,000m² of academic and research space) and is on track to achieve an Excellent BREEAM rating.
- Similarly MEPC’s development, Milton Park, a new £24 million speculative office and laboratory development in Oxford, is expected to achieve an Excellent BREEAM rating on completion.
But it’s not just building construction that can contribute to BREEAM rating; the systems and equipment used in them can play a role too.
Case Study: Sygnature Discovery
Sygnature Discovery, the UK’s largest independent contract research organisation and anchor tenant at Nottingham’s BioCity hub, was looking to install a bespoke, energy-efficient fume cupboard solution that would support an Excellent BREEAM rating and ensure the safety, comfort and well being of lab users. It commissioned fume cupboard specialist Clean Air Ltd who in turn partnered with us.
Complete Environment Control from TEL
We supplied two products which together gave Sygnature Discovery complete environmental control of their laboratories; 78 AFA1000 variable airflow volume (VAV) airflow controllers and six of the UK’s first AFA5000 room space controllers.
The VAV controllers automatically adjust the fume cupboards’ airflow according to need, consuming up to 75% less energy than conventional constant air volume (CAV) units, while the AFA 5000s – which communicate directly with the fume cupboards without the need for a building management system – enable demand control ventilation.
- Precision control of the laboratory environment
- Unrivalled lab user comfort
- Outstanding energy efficiency
‘From inception, energy efficiency was a primary stipulation for the facility, and TEL’s airflow and room space controllers played an important role in enabling us to achieve BREEAM excellence.’ – Tracey Alford, Facilities Manager at Sygnature Discovery.
Find out how TEL could help you achieve complete laboratory control call +44 (0) 1457 865 635